Wednesday, June 1, 2016

New York In 30 - Day 1

In New York You Can Be A New Man

The genesis of "Keeping An Eye on the World Going By" took root in a time of great upheaval in the life of Your Humble Observer. As I prepared to cross this great country to begin a new chapter in the big city the blog became a pillar of stability; a place I could emote, vent, and otherwise express my thoughts as I faced what I then considered a difficult journey.

Little did I know that living in New York would become more than just a short stint in a scary yet exciting place just to "get it out of my system". Over the next eight years, New York morphed, as did I. First it was a place to explore as I explored my own plans, desires, and myself. Then it became common, mundane, banal as I began down my young career path and slowly lost touch with the things that made New York the beautiful place it was. Finally, and only at the end of these eight years did I realize that New York had become my home - OUR new home as this was the place my wife and I first set up our first home, the roots of our marriage.

Looking back at those early posts, it's plain to see I clearly have become a new man over the last eight years. Those early posts are so full of wonder of this great city and all the exciting prospects that lay ahead. In the next eight years New York would become the place that I love to hate, a place I hate that I love so much, a place I took for granted, a place I took advantage of.

You all ask, "Are you excited to leave New York?"

No. I'm not.

That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the next step and all the excitement that it brings. It just means that this place gets under your skin and leaving New York... well... you live here for nearly a decade and tell me how easy it is to pull yourself away.

No comments: