Part of assimilating into the life of a New Yorker is becoming a sports expert. The challenge in this is that New Yorkers are born experts in sports - all sports, so from the minute you land at any of the three NYC airports, you're always playing catch-up.
I had always admired hockey from a distance but never felt the pull of allegiance to any particular team. I had always told myself that if I ever landed in a spot with a legitimate hockey culture that I would immediately adopt the local team. Enter the New York Rangers (he said in parentheses).**
I dove head-first into the world of Blueshirts and pretty quickly got caught up in all things NYR. I even attended my fair share of games at Madison Square Garden. Sadly, in my time in New York did not bring with a march up the Canyon of Heroes for the Rangers, but I have found my team for life.





**Sorry kids, at the time that time the New York Islanders were not a Brooklyn-based team, so they were not in contention for the affections of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment