New York, You Great Unfinished Symphony...
...you sent for me.
I arrived in New York on September 10, 2008. The primary goal was to finish my education and get on with the whole doctor thing. Secondarily, however, I wanted to live it up and absorb as much of NYC as humanly possible in, what I thought would be, a short period of time.
Eight years passed and as the date of the big move back to California began to approach like a subway train for which you've been waiting an eternity, it became more and more important to create a NYC bucket list to do everything prior to our departure. The more we added to the list, the more it became obvious that "doing everything" was an impossible task.
The truth is there is no end to what you can do and experience in New York. There will always be the show you never saw, the park you never visited, the outdoor movie you didn't get to see, the restaurant at which you did not eat.
So... today I leave you, New York.
My time with you is an unfinished affair and this is my love letter to you. I absolutely refuse to say that we will never meet again, because it's impossible that I will not visit again. We may have some short flings in the future, but the sun has set on our day in the sun.
My wife waits on the other side. My family waits on the other side. A new job waits on the other side. A new To-Do List in a new city awaits me on the other side.
So, start spreading the news. I'm leaving today. Thank you for making me a part of it, New York, New York.
No comments:
Post a Comment