Saturday, June 11, 2016

New York In 30 - Day 11

Is He In Jersey?

Since my recent travels put the blog on hold, I may as well take advantage of this event in my life to explain that living in New York was not solely about experiencing NYC, but it also opened up a treasure chest of opportunities to visit new and exciting, (and some not-so-exciting) places. Of course, my job has contributed to these travels to some degree especially during the residency search, taking me to such exotic locations as Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Staten Island. But here are the more memorable locations I've visited over the last eight years:

  • Washington, D.C. - I've gazed upward at the apotheosis of Washington, sworn eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man at the temple of Jefferson, stood free in same spot as Martin Luther King, Jr. with Lincoln gazing from his throne. I've touched the moon, seen the vessel that gave man flight, and stood awed at the changing of the guard with the backdrop of the magnitude of sacrifice. I've gazed upon the signatures that founded a nation and declared self-evident truths. It is one of the most awesome places to visit and a pilgrimage for everyone.













  • Boston, MA - Another immensely rich and historical city where I was able to follow a trail of freedom, hurl the tea into the sea, and sing "Sweet Caroline" wicked good with the locals.


  • Upstate New York/Apple Picking - Such a uniquely wonderful experience to see a different side of the state I was living in. Beautiful fall orchards

  • The Jersey Shore - Alright, I'll throw some love to New Jersey (not too much though... what kind of New Yorker would I be?). We found an amazing summer spot along the Jersey Shore, specifically Asbury Park where we spent many a lazy summer weekend. I was able to do an informal half marathon just along the boardwalk. It even afforded us the opportunity to reconnect with our Armenian roots in a Return To Asbury.  Alright, Jersey, that's it for you.

  • Philadelphia, PA - I was able to make several trips to the city of fraternal affection. In fact it was one of the first destinations for YHO almost immediately after moving to NYC (Philos Adelphos). It's another of those cities with deep roots in American history. Not to mention... the food. I was able to sample the two famous cheesesteak shops and do a head to head comparison.

  • Cape Cod, MA - One of the first trips we took together and such a perfect location for two nerds who enjoy scoping out lighthouses and used bookstores. 




No comments: