Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why You Won't Find Me in Times Square Tomorrow

Armenians are outraged. 94 years of Genocide denial and yet, year after year...nothing. So what are they doing? Tomorrow they are taking to the streets of Manhattan to stage a protest...

...I'm not sure exactly what it is they are protesting. I'm an Armenian. I've taken part in my share of Armenian Genocide activities: Marches, demonstrations, lectures, cultural events. I refuse to do it anymore.  I'm not putting myself out there year after year for the government to give me lip service to my face and turn around and laugh at me behind my back. 

"Oh, come on! That can't be true! They're not doing that to you!!" 
Oh ya? Let's examine shall we?

I also share with Armenian Americans – so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors - a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgement of the Armenian Genocide. Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term "genocide" to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. 
-Barack  H. Obama, January 19, 2008

Ninety four years ago, one of the great atrocities of the 20th century began. Each year, we pause to remember the 1.5 million Armenians who were subsequently massacred or marched to their death in the final days of the Ottoman Empire.
-Barack H. Obama, April 24, 2009
The New & Improved Obama on Atrocities

No mention of genocide but a clear acknowledgement that he's backing off his original statements. What a spineless, gutless, creep. 

He's not the first and he won't be the last. He's just the latest in the long chain of lying bastard politicians who continue the culture of denial. So I refuse to take part in a failing symbolic event, year after year. 

I can make my peace with the souls of the murdered. I can't do anything to force others to do the same.

No comments: