Thursday, April 16, 2009

Retrospective #5c - ...Land That I Love

Top 5 Things I Missed Most about the U.S.

At first glance, this list seems obvious, but I'm using slightly different criteria than you would expect. Obviously the major answers to this are "My family, My friends, Chipotle, blah-blah-blah…" Instead, I will highlight some of those intangibles; things I'd taken for granted all these years, and now can't wait to get back to.

Honorable Mentions
- Mini-Marts (You know, the ones with Slurpees and Big Gulps)
- Gyms (One where the cardio machines actually work.)

5. Customer Service
- I'm sorry, Subway lady. I know it's quite inconvenient for me to ask you for mustard AND hot sauce, but I do appreciate that exasperated look you're giving me.

4. Road Markings/Lanes
- You know? Those things that let you know that I drive on THIS side of the road, and you drive on THAT side...and that these rules are NOT up for interpretation.

3. Free Refills
- And for that matter…fountain drinks in general.

2. Central Air/Heating
- Remote controls are for televisions, DVD players, and Sirius Radio…not for the single A/C unit above my bed that doesn't shut off once the desired temperature is reached.

1. Water Pressure
- You know, just enough so I'm not hugging the wall trying to catch the little trickle.
- YHO (from inside the shower): OH FOR THE LOVE OF…
H.A.: What happened?
YHO: Just pass me a couple bottles of water will you?

No comments: