Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Story Of Us - Three Little Words

"I love you."

Less than 6 months had passed since the dawn of our new relationship. It was Christmas time. There was excitement in the air. We had made it through the first months of our budding relationship. HOKIS and I had managed to make things work despite being worlds apart, she being a college freshman at UC Big City and me, an up-and-coming junior at UC Agriculture.

I knew these words could send her running for the hills. So young and in such a young relationship. Maybe she should have run for the hills. What's more telling is that she didn't. She looked me right in the eye and said the words back. You would think I would have run for the hills. I didn't.

"I love you"

Less than 6 months into the re-kindling of an old romance. The re-birth of an old friendship. The reincarnation of something that never truly died. She was preparing to leave after visiting me in NYC. The first time since that fateful turn of the year when all of the above "RE-'s" occurred. She had just started walking toward security at the airport. Outwardly, I was playing it cool. In my mind I was screaming, "STOP! TURN AROUND! DON'T GO!"
She stopped. She turned around. She didn't leave... at least not yet. She came right back up to me and laid those three words on me - words unspoken for over 3 years, yet familiar, known, understood. I looked her right in the eye and said the words back. She could have just flown away. She didn't.

"I love you"

Somewhere, from a speaker came the voice of Ol' Blue Eyes. He was saying something about a day when he felt awfully low. That day, I never felt higher. As I sang the words to her, we swayed back and forth. There may have been 450 people there... I wouldn't have known. We were running for the hills. We were flying.

No comments: