Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reflections Of A Surgical Student - Episode 2

The Average Interaction With The Average Nurse

A patient's daughter waits paitently at the nurse's station, waiting for someone to acknowledge her existence. After 5 minutes, she looks exasperated. I approach her, find out her father's name and the nurse that is taking care of him. I then approach said nurse and have the following conversation:

YHO: Excuse me, Ms. B_____?
Nurse: (grunts without even turning to acknowledge me)
YHO: Your patient, Mr. H____'s daughter is waiting at the counter to speak with you.
N: What do you want?
YHO: I wanted to let you know...
N: I can't talk to anyone right now, I'm doing narcotics.
YHO: Ok, well when you get a chance, the daughter is waiting to...
N: Tell her to wait
YHO: (mumbling inaudibly) I'm sure she can't wait to see your sunshine face...

How am I supposed to continue respecting this individual when she makes me feel that my very existence is an inconvenience to her?


No comments: