Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Life & Times of a Medical Pimp


I know, you're thinking, "Why would Nareg, a responsible, upstanding, decent, pre-professional, be writing about something like pimps?" Well take a deep breath and follow me...

Regardless of what pimping may mean to the outside world, in medicine it sends chills down the spine of students and residents. Pimping is the practice of asking a student questions to assess his/her knowledge. Generally, it occurs in the clinical setting (i.e. during rounds) and can range from relatively benign to test clinical acumen to more malicious serial questioning with the intent to intimidate.

Pimping may come from the top with the attendings all the way down to the interns (let's face it, medical students don't really have anyone to pimp). It is generally accepted that when one is being pimped, he or she is started off with a relatively easy question which, if answered correctly, progresses to a more difficult question.

The efficacy of such a practice is up for debate, but the truth of the matter is, it forces students to think quickly and provide intelligent. well though-out answers to difficult questions.

I don't know what you heard about me... but so far, in my clinical experience, I have not been on the receiving end of a good old-fashioned pimping. The attendings and residents at MIH are good about asking questions without actually pimping. I'm sure this will change as I move further into rotations.

No comments: